Face book links

Kenny Andrew

Hi Guys, I have just added Facebook links to the online shop. Could you let me know if you think they are any good? or do they slow the page loading time down? Thoughts please ,would like to make a decision on Tuesday whither to keep them or not. 

• Like 1

Hi Kenny, I saw this and is a neat idea but the code is wrong. Currently you are using a code snippet for every item in the shop to be 'liked' which instead has the person liking the treasure bunker facebook page storewide... so when I go to the shop I already 'like' every item, because I 'like' the bunker facebook already. 

You need to alter the code snippet to use a Replace URL code snippet. Details are are: http://help.bigcartel.com/articles/26-facebook-like-buttons Scroll to the part about Product Specific Like Buttons. If you cannot get it to work or your code monkey guys cannot do it either, best to pull it out. Similarly Google+ does a similar with a +1 button but lets not complicate things ;)

• Like 2

Thanks Greg, this is what we tried to do, but either face book or our online shop will not let us like individual items and instead just makes it "like" the whole page. So I think this is the only way we can do it at the moment. I also notice when you are still logged onto Facebook and go to our site then the Facebook link show my name and other people I know. Although this can only be seen on your own computer and not on the internet itself ,this may freak people out and think there name and friends names are on our website. I do think they slow the page loading time up? Have you noticed it is slower Greg? I have also added a Facebook counter and like logo to the top of the home page and also online shop page, so I'm thinking this is maybe enough and remove the links next to each item?

• Like 1

it does slow it down a bit but not by much. I would bin the likes next to products if it does not work and go with just the counter and logo

• Like 2

Yes it slows down the loading time on my computer and mine is new, so anyone with an older computer might be even worse, maybe enough to make them move onto another site. I've noticed we have not had many online sales since I added the new buttons, mind you we have been so busy in the shop I have not had a chance to add any new items to the online shop so that might also be the cause . Anyone else find the pages taking longer to load? 

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

I would be very wary of facebook, the Big Brother Page, full of spyware, censorship and dubious characters squabbling and reporting each other.

• Like 3

very true Fritz 

• Like 3