Preserving Paperwork ?

leon21

Hi guys, anybody got any tips on preserving your paperwork items.

At the moment I use normal folders with plastic sleeves, but are these good enough.?

• Like 3

Hi Leon,

No plastic is not the best, it can degrade over long periods of time and cause damage to the paper, possibly sealing the items in the poly bag if the plastic seals together while degrading. Low quality plastic can also leak chemical into your documents or take the prints off your paper.

You want to store each item in an acid free archive folder. Google around for these but they are a beige colour and certified for archives. The lack of acid in the paper provides a safe neutral store for the documents which will not damage the print or the paper in any way. They also will not discolour over time which also protects the document from doing the same.

I use to work in an archive, our process was acid free folders all inside a larger acid free folder then placed into an acid free archival box. Box then placed on shelf and forgotten for 100 years.

Best to have documents stored away from strong light and temperature changes as much as possible.

• Like 4

Thanks Greg for the info, will do, is it worth keeping a copy of the documents on file or disc, just in case ? :thumbsup:

• Like 3

i would say yes, it both preserves the document and can assist with any insurance claim or value if anything ever happened. However, be sure to use digital standards so the file format you scan in can be opened and used in the future and is not obsolete in 15 years... this means TIFF images... good details for archival standard to follow at:

http://digital-library.csun.edu/scanning.html

• Like 4

• 8 years later...

It is absolutely recommendable to keep a photographic digital record of all items in a collection. These should then be numerically/alphabeticly listed and the list always within reach, this being regularly updated. Also for insurance purposes concerning loss or theft.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

"Einschlagmappe", folders such as this, a bit larger than Din-A4 for a quantity of documents, groups of papers, etc. larger sizes are also available, made bei Leitz or Falken,
I'm sure they are obtainable in the UK, etc.

100_6544.JPG

100_6545.JPG

• Like 4