any ideas on this belt plate

stan

Hi all just joined the forum i was lookin for any information on this belt plate i recovered whilst metal detecting its a circa 1801 cartridge belt plate bearing the words ''LOYAL STIRLING VOLUNTEERS'' just wondering wether it would be worth being restored

post-14386-1328209999_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Stan, welcome to the forum :) It's a little bit early for me as we really specialize in 20th Century items ,but what a great item to find, hopefully some of the other members here will be able to offer some advice.

• Like 1

Personally I would not restore it but that is my preference. If found metal detecting, please ensure the item is legitimately yours and declared as items found in the ground in Scotland are Crown Property (if found). I can suggest other early period people who can give you more info on it (message me separately) or you can approach National War Museum in Edinburgh Castle

• Like 1

Personally I would not restore it but that is my preference. If found metal detecting, please ensure the item is legitimately yours and declared as items found in the ground in Scotland are Crown Property (if found). I can suggest other early period people who can give you more info on it (message me separately) or you can approach National War Museum in Edinburgh Castle

Thanks Greg , yeah i had permission for the farm i found it on,, i got an email from Stuart Campell TTU at the national museum in Edinburgh he is very interested in it .

• Like 1