Looking for an WW1 EK1

sydneyhorn

Hi All,

I have a WW1 EK2 and want to get an EK1 but am nervous about ending up with a fake or copy.

Does this look genuine...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281603366014?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

It looks it to me and seems like a it's in good condition.

What do people think?

Cheers

Hi Sydney,

First a point of matter which is strictly speaking there should not be links on the forum to commercial sites. However I can see why you did it so not going to knock heads over it.

Simple advice - if in doubt don't buy it! Better word of advice, buy from a reputable dealer that will assure their items are authentic and are known to carry good stuff. Kenny does this at the Treasure Bunker but there are many other dealers as well.

You may pay a bit more than Ebay but Ebay is a mine field of silly prices and lots of fakes, if you are serious about collecting, go to the dealers. You would also do good to purchase a good guide book, that you can get on Ebay!

• Like 3

Thanks Greg - I was thinking the same. I would prefer to actually see it in the flesh before I bought it anyway. That does look a good example from the pictures but I guess it would still be a risk!

I think I shall try and be patient and wait until one comes up at a local auction or dealer and I can go and handle it before buying.

• Like 2

Oh dear, avoid flea bay 99% fakes stick with a reputable dealer that way you get the assurance and guarantee that what you purchase is what it is meant to be. A word of caution not all dealers are genuine stick with Kenny a little more expensive but then again worth it as least you can sleep at night without getting burned.

• Like 3

Hi Sidney,

Ebay is a mine field, looking at that cross , it could just be the photo but the finish looks too matt to me, which could indicate a repaint. We have some lovely Imperial 1st class crosses on our site at the moment. For £35 more you could get a totally untouched maker marked cross with a life time guarantee.We also have a lovely convex one still retaining it's frosting and a nice screw back version.

Here are some pictures and a link to the page on our site where you can see the reverses etc. :)

http://www.treasurebunker.co.uk/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67240192

1367a-zoom.jpg

1203a-zoom.jpg

1236a-zoom.jpg

• Like 2