Reichsfinanzverwaltung arm shield

Buster

I have been offered this in a private sale, its a water customs sleeve badge, have any of you seen fakes of these,the detail ain't as crisp as others I have googled, looks to have been rubbed / worn, could even be semi relic.what do you guys think?

post-37944-0-50268100-1477263302_thumb.jpg

post-37944-0-98840500-1477263323_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Doesn' t say this is Water Police - just "Zollgrenzschutz", just plain customs- otherwise it would lbe Wasserschutzpolizei. Usually these discs were of brass or bronze, never seen a white metal one before. It is always hard to tell with these items, especially the "Gestapo" ones, usually are fakes that have been made to look "aged"  they should not be hollow-backed.  Ask for more opinions before buying. Badges of these kind were used as a sort of Ausweis with plain clothes and not sewn on, usually the holes were larger, and attached to a sort of cord.

• Like 3

Thanks Fritz,here's what I think is one being worn, the guy on the far right,has one on a black arm band, sorry the pics not the best but its all I can find of one being worn.

post-37944-0-73172800-1477292282_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I see what you mean. Haven't seen that before. Looks like it was sewn to some sort of armband, which was slipped on for duty. Picture is too small to descern - but I would say these are Border (Land) Customs, and some of these officials look like Austrians - which would be before the 13th March 1938, when Austria was united with Germany.

• Like 3

Hi Buster I'm afraid it's a copy, the Reich's Tariff Border Control arm shield's had much sharper detail and were made in gilded aluminium, here is an example of an original.

zoll1.JPG

zoll2.JPG

• Like 4

Cheers kenny, it was the sharpness that i was worried about, i first thought it was a relic item, but the definition is still not sharp on the back where it would have been die struck.

• Like 4

yes it was always die struck never cast :thumbsup:

• Like 3