Dame Vera Lynn the Forces Sweetheart turns 100 Today

Kenny Andrew

Dame Vera Margaret Lynn CH DBE OStJ , widely known as "the Forces' Sweetheart", is an British singer, songwriter and actress. Her musical recordings and performances were enormously popular during the Second World War.

During the war she toured Egypt, India, and Burma as part of ENSA, giving outdoor concerts for the troops. The songs most associated with her are "We'll Meet Again", "The White Cliffs of Dover", "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square" and "There'll Always Be an England".

She remained popular after the war, appearing on radio and television in the UK and the US and recording such hits as "Auf Wiederseh'n Sweetheart" and her UK Number one single "My Son, My Son". Her last single, "I Love This Land", was released to mark the end of the Falklands War. In 2009, at age 92, she became the oldest living artist to top the UK Albums Chart.

She has devoted much time and energy to charity work connected with ex-servicemen, disabled children, and breast cancer. She is held in great affection by veterans of the Second World War to this day and in 2000 was named the Briton who best exemplified the spirit of the 20th century.

On 20 March 2017, Dame Vera celebrated her 100th birthday. In a fitting tribute on the day, her portrait was projected onto the white cliffs of Dover.

post-3-0-37903000-1490041424.jpg

• Like 4