As expected, got a nice Christmas gift from my wife's family, an East German Army Schützenschnur in Silver.

The Schützenschnur is nothing new, it went back to Imperial Germany and was awarded for marksmanship. It also is one of the few awards US servicemen may wear, but not officers.

To qualify you must use your primary and heavy weapon both and the lowest awarded weapon proficiency marks the award. Silver is the middle award of bronze, silver and gold and there are further awards as acorns for continued proficiency. There are also versions for armour and other branches.

There was also a West German version and after reunification it again continued as a German Bundeswehr award.

post-17-0-55615700-1419964561_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

very nice Greg, I have a WW2 Panzer Schützenschnur in my collection ,will try to take some pics after the holidays :thumbsup:

• Like 4

The panzer and anti tank badges fascinate me... You need to be a tank marksmen.... That sounds rather cool

• Like 4