'restoring' modified bayonets

Greg

just want to gather some opinions on a good comment that came up recently within the Bayonet Collectors Network... A fellow collector and someone who is very well known in the collecting community and hugely respected asks...

With regard to British P1907 Hooked Quillon bayonets- would it be unethical to take examples that had their quillons removed and have them professionally restored as long as the new quillon is clearly marked "RESTORED"? I would be very interested to see the thoughts of all members with an opinion on the subject posted to this forum.

Just wondering what the forum thinks regarding restoring altered items, and that could be anything you collect... Do you see limits to how far you'll go or what lines to cross/not cross?

• Like 3

personally I would think that would be a bit unethical Greg :D and pretty easy to remove the restored mark.

• Like 2

I would agree and have the same opinion.... But that applies to bayonets but I would not have an issue with replacing a ribbon on a medal or taking a rifle that is made of several cobbled parts and trying to put it back to as many original or correctly matched parts as possible.... But that is the difference between restoration and... What would you call it... 'Reconstituting'?

• Like 3

yes I agree restoration is fine, adding a quillon which multiplies it's value is maybe taking it a little far though :) although I'm sure lots of people have already done it.

• Like 3