Scottish Ribbon Hilt Sword

Greg

This is in my safekeeping for a antique dealer friend who has come into possession of it.

Scottish Ribbon Hilt Sword, these were precursors to the better known Basket Hilt swords. The age of this I would place ca. 1670. 100% original with no obvious re-work. The hilt has never been removed. The handle has rotted away but else it is in decent condition considering what it is.

Blade is Soligen Steel marked Andrea Ferara. Likely it is not a Ferara blade but the Scots liked to mark the blades this as a sign of exceptional quality. More likely the blade was made in Germany, sent to Scotland and the hilt was placed on here. I'm still working to identify the hilt maker, if not a clan blacksmith it probably is a Stirling or Glasgow workshop.

If this sword could talk, where would it have been carried! Could have been at the Battle of Glenshiel, or Culloden or any of the clan wars from the period.

post-17-0-34487200-1380711488_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-01127400-1380711509_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

just took a weekend trip to Northumberland and the Scottish Borders... interestingly came across 2 sister swords to this one!

The first is in the collection of Bamburg Castle and belonged to the Duke of Northumberland. Sadly he was executed for supporting the Scots a bit too much.

Second was on display in the Queen Mary house in Jedburgh. Sadly no information with it just mounted on the wall.

I had the sword already independently assessed and confirmed as authentic but was great to see similar in two further collections!

• Like 3