Battle of the bulge photos

Greg

Great photos! I love the last one of the Jeeps and the sky full of aircraft :)

The first tank is actually a US M36, they seem to of confused it with an M4 :thumbsup:

well done RAF, so it is, M36... reporters making up stuff thinking if it is a US tank it must be a sherman

Excellent pics.Studied the Ardennes heavily around twenty years ago,this might make dig out a book again.Always intend to go back there but never get round to it.Some great pubs too!

Read The Bitter Woods by David Eisenhower, a really excellent account of the battle though a bit dated now, still a must read

Yes your right Greg bit dated even when i read it years ago.still good though.When you see the casualty figures for a battle like the Bulge it puts in perspective the modern so called wars like Iraq and Afghanistan.This in no way belittles the casualty figures for these campaigns but they just dont compare in size and scale.We wouldnt tolerate casualty figures like that today

Excellent photos! Are the colour ones original or colourised?

The GI with the mortar round tubes looks like Clint Eastwood! The youth of the young German is tragic! Someone could have stolen his sweets in the schoolyard but he is pushed into a war!

Yes the casualties in BoB were massive as neither side wanted to give way.

I think the color is mostly original, Kodak colour film was available and in use. All the photos are near certainly run through photoshop to enhance them some, but the level of colour detail in some photos like the troops in winter camp before the town is near too detailed to not be original colour capture. Some others Such as the very first photo I think may have had colour added.