Agent Zigzag

mr bridger

Just read the book about eddie chapman the double agent and could not put it down. This guy had more front than blackpool pleasure beach. And was even awarded an ek2 for his exploits , an amazing story and well worth reading.

• Like 2

I think they made a film about him too called triple cross with Christopher Plumber playing him. I wonder what happened to his medals and what they would be worth, a very interesting group with his Iron cross and British medals! I think he was the only Briton to receive the Iron Cross.

• Like 1

A collector heard of Chapmans award of the EK2 and offered to buy it, Chapman obliged him and produced two of them proclaiming that Hitler personally awarded him with it.

the buyer eventualy found out that he had been conned as Chapman gave his original award to one of his Brittish handlers Ronnie Reed. Eddie Chapman was the only Brit to receive an iron cross.

• Like 2

I like it, true to character until the end :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I also enjoyed the "Operation Mincemeat" story. Wonderful how they put so much effort into the details on the corpse for deception. The TV documentary was good as well.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Anybody watch the tv programme four rooms, Eddie Chapmans favourite armchair from his London club was offered for

sale by his best friend asking price £25,000..........It did not sell.

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

The Iron Cross was awarded in 1813/14 and 1815, and I am sure that this was also awarded to English participants. Although, how do you define English? Included were also soldiers from Brunswick, King's German Legion, Hessen-Nassau, and quite a few others, who were part of the British Army. Nationality was not clearly defined in those days. The Hannoverian Army from 1837-1866 also had officers and other ranks with English names and titles, Cambridge, Connaught, etc. There was also an English doctor, who in 1870/71 received the EK2 on a white ribbon and the medal for non-combattants for his part in his care of the wounded. Unfortunately, this was at an auction, and I did not keep a record of this position.

There is also a medal in my collection, a Prussian Life-Saving-Medal, Rettungsmedaille, which came from an English 19th Century set, unfortunately no documentation to prove this.

• Like 3