Stalingrad: Dogs, Do You Want to Live Forever?

Kenny Andrew

What do you guys think of this film? not available in the UK which is why I posted it ,I think it gives a wider view of the battle than the more modern film "Stalingrad" I think it was made in the 50's.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very good to excellent except Rumanians using MG42 and T34-85 at Stalingrad. Had to use what was available I suppose.

Yes the more recent film was fairly crap.

• Like 4

Yes I was disappointed with the modern film ,was really looking forward to it but it seemed to miss so much out.

• Like 3

• 6 years later...

Stalingrad Film from 1993, one of the better films

• Like 3

I've not watched this in a while, maybe time to give it another look, last time I watched it was dubbed into English, I now have the German language version which I saw at the cinema first time round. It was much better in German than the dubbed English version, I think that's what put me off.   

• Like 3

Yes. always thought this was remarkably good by recent standards - first appeared 1993, one of the last times I went to the cinema, since then I was only twice - "Sonnenallee" (Ost cult film) in 1999 and "Der Untergang" in 2004, haven't entered a cinema since!   I think a lot of the actors were from the former DDR, and more soldierly than the sloppy variety in the west.

The other film you posted was made in around 1957, still with a lot of ex-soldiers, who knew what they were acting. The central figure, a young artillery officer was played by the same actor - Joachim Hansen - as Hauptmann Marseille in STERN VON AFRIKA, Which at the time received a lot of criticism from left-wing critics as revisionary and propagandistic:

• Vor dem Hintergrund der erst ein Jahr zuvor aufgestellten neuen Luftwaffe der Bundeswehr im Jahr 1956 sahen einige Filmkritiker eine Anlehnung an einen expressiven Propagandafilm.[4]
  • „Er ist gefährlich, er ist restaurativ, er ist neonazistisch.“Vorwärts[5]
  • „Clevere Mischung aus Heldenepos, Kampfreportage und halbherzigen Antikriegsphrasen.“Lexikon des internationalen Films[6]

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

The full film:

• Like 4

• 3 years later...

A great film I have it in DVD. It is still available. Stalingrad 1993. image.thumb.png.9218bd3be471dc040b720da3c095d804.png

The older 1959 movie I have in VHS and is also good. Stalingrad: Dogs, Do You Want to Live Forever? (1959    Both are excellent movies.

image.png.906c3be6b6a169614317bd70d647ee8a.png

• Like 3

That is the same film.

• Like 2

That is cool, then I can get rid of the VHS tape. I have not watched it in over 10 years.   Fritz, I did not even realize that. 🥴

You know you got too much stuff, if you got duplicates and do not even know it. Like tools. I know I have it, but when I need it, I can not find it.  I currently lost a Budapest M95 carbine that I put away in some shed. But after the stroke, I can not remember where it is.... too much junk. On a positive note when I search for things and find something I forgot I have, its like stumbling onto a free rare find, or Christmas gift.  I got  so many War VHS  tapes and DVDs that my wife took two days to compile a list of what I have because I never know if I have them already in DVD format. We got rid of duplicates.  Then next is 50 years worth of collecting marbles and lead toy soldiers to get in one spot. 🤪

The neighbor kid was delighted when I gave him my old box of 45 records from the early 1960s and a pile of Famous Monster magazines. He thought I was nuts,  but to him they were treasures...  Better they go to someone that keeps the stuff like it was gold. I remember how excited I was when all my uncles gave me their WW II bring backs and uniforms. That generation is gone.  I kept my four first issues 1-4 of Blazing Combat magazine that I found. I have not seen these since 1970. I thought these were gone... a nice find.  Some U.S. kids may remember these: These were a short run of American War comics that were published by Warren Publishing Co. only in 1965 and 1966.  I actually read these in high school. It was sort of an expensive comic  (35 cents) in magazine format.  They are very unlike the normal 10 cent comics of the late 1950s and early 1960s.  I am watching my Stalingrad DVD tonight.  Fritz is probably shaking his head, where do all these old goats come from! 

image.thumb.png.05dcfc76a2bb224fbf3d1d8c289491b3.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Odd the vhs says 97 min, but the different cover DVD say 150 min. Now I got to watch both. One has to be a cut version. 

• Like 3

VHS are almost always butcherd, if you buy new versions always try to get Blu ray as they will have the most up to date and  complete version.    

• Like 2

Don't throw the video away, you could always sell it to someone else.
Sometimes the "Directors cut" is also available. I hope you find your M.95 carbine,
just too good to lose, I'm sure it will turn up.

• Like 2

Hans-Erdmann Schönbeck erzählt, wie er die Hölle von Stalingrad überlebte -  FOCUS online

Stalingrad – ein Überlebender erzählt: "Wir waren verraten & verloren"

Stalingrad: Hans-Erdmann Schönbeck (99) erzählt, wie er die Schlacht  erlebte - FOCUS online

Hans-Erdmann Schönbeck: "... und nie kann ich vergessen": Ein  Stalingrad-Überlebender erzählt von Krieg, Widerstand – und dem Wunder, 100  Jahre zu leben : Pröse, Tim: Amazon.de: Bücher

Hans-Erdmann Schönbeck und Tim Pröse zu Besuch im Heyne Verlag | BuchMarkt

Hans Erdmann-Schönbeck (1922-2022) survived the battle of Stalingrad and recorded
his experiences in his memoirs.

• Like 2

Do you know if that book was done in English?  Is Stalingrad out in blue ray?  It seems only in Europe and it is pricy, Yeps.   But to see it in such clarity on a flat screen tv must be stunning. My VHS is hooked to a regular TV. 

image.png.07b94460798711330f80b63aaf968507.png

• Like 3

That looks excellent , perhaps you could find a second hand version of the Blu ray cheaper, I only have it on DVD.  I've also re-added "Stalingrad: Dogs, Do You Want to Live Forever?" to the top of the post, watch it before it disappears again.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if the book appeared in English, but you can search the internet.

• Like 2

Thanks for reposting that 1958 version with subtitles. 🙂 I believe some real fottoge was shown. 

• Like 3