Imperial wound badge types

Since we have a few members that are getting into wound badges I am going to post a picture of Imperial types.The picture is from Ronny R.The cut outs were not awarded and a private purchase

badge...There are five types of Imperials...You can tell by the helmets...Type five is the one most go after....The one most faked also...Yes there are Imperial fakes also.Now in a group,you can see the types

don

post-200-1258509329_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Cheers Don!

Are helmet types a design based on period of the war they were released during and the changes in either the stamping used or even German helmet design or was it merely differences in the stamp from various makers?

• Like 3

As far as I know it was makers.(The types are recorded from Hamelins book}I am not sure when

the makers started making....Alot of type 1

don

• Like 3

I've seen a lot of Type 2 and 3 lately looking about. The Type 1 actually looks similiar to the 1957 without swastika, I think some un-aware dealers may be selling them as such.

• Like 3

M16/17 helmets all had the same shell shape so it must be different makers or periods of manufacture. I didn't realise either there were 5 patterns , again I've probably had loads of pattern 5's in without noticing them, I agree they are a much cooler design , have you got a pattern 5 Don ?

• Like 2

I have one...It is in a group shot

don

post-200-1258637911_thumb.jpg

post-200-1258637996_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

are the badges with a disc back rather than a pin back only seen on the private purchase badges?

• Like 3

• 6 years later...

The wound badge was introduced on 3rd March 1918 on order of Kaiser Wilhelm II. Awards were made up till mid-1920s, and even later.

Disc back would be private purchase, at the choice of the wearer. There would not have been much scope in the last year of the war, when materials of all types were becoming increasingly scarce.

• Like 3