Tiger!

stewy

Never seen barbed wire on a tank before ,wonder what that's for to attach camo or stop people getting on?

Its strange.You certainly didnt need to board a tank to throw any type of bomb.And petrol bombs were useless against tigers.Possibly to deter the climbing aboard and attaching magnetic mines.Even then i reckon they could still do it.

Does seem a bit strange I suppose there is a small chance the wire would maybe make a petrol bomb bounce off but as Steve said what good would a petrol bomb be against a Tiger anyway.

did you read some where this was the purpose Stewy?

I totally agree with you folks but as you know anyone with a split-second hessitation's failed. That's what war/combat's about. Stewy

ive never experienced combat,i wouldnt know thankfully. i did have a family member in Black Watch who saw action in Afghanistan.

if you could get close enough to a tiger you were very brave or lucky or both.German infantry tactics for protecting their tanks was superb and made it very difficult to penetrate this shield.Also hatches were generally kept shut in combat.A dead tank commander was useless and expensive to relace especially experienced ones.In built up areas hatches were closed particularly in contested areas.It sometimes made it difficult for a tanks awareness of its immediate surroundings,but far preferable to being vulnerable especially from windows above it.Naturally the situation would determine how a tank and its crew would react.And as Stewy said its all down to split second decisions.

There is no evidence on this tank to prove it, but the barbed wire may provide an available netting to attach branches as a form of camouflage. That said, it would also provide effective deterrent against anyone climbing aboard as well. Steve is correct though that the Panzer would be protected by infantry.

Yes especially a Tiger it would have allot of Infantry support ,would not like to dismount from it a night with all that barbed wire :o but yes a very interesting photo Stewy :thumbsup: