Hessian infantry peaked field cap

Fritz

Field grey infantry peaked cap with patent leather strap. Cap could be either for Hessen, I.R. 115, 116, 117, 118 or 168.
In very clean, fresh condition, fine doeskin cloth, brown waxcloth sweatband, slight traces of wear to inside, only very slight traces of mothing, ca. 1914-16 - over 100 years old.
Purchased in early 1968 in Londons Portobello Road for only 5 pounds!

100_2958.JPG

100_2959.JPG

100_2960.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

superb example - the Hess. Landeskokarde is not stiched-on, as is sometimes found, this was also the case with later Bavarian examples, as in one of your photos.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Nice caps, very good condition! I would like to get my hands on those...

• Like 4

Bought in the late 1960s/early 70s - they weren't cheap then, but "peanuts" compared to today. Also the condition then was much better - only 50 years old, now over 100 years!  Just think about that!  I wonder where all that stuff is nowadays which I saw in those days - this was much more than I bought - there were some beautifull items around, and just like new in some cases.

• Like 4

I understand Fritz, WW1 items were relatively cheap a few decades ago, now it is crazy. I remember finding uniforms and helmets much easier than today. Hopefully most of the items you saw are in museums or private collections where they are preserved for future generations. On the flip side, I have heard that a lot of the younger generations do not know the significance nor do they care, and try to sell the items, if not they throw it out. I have personally seen this, and its a shame as they are throwing away their families heritage. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

It is unbelievable how in the past decades things have been thrown out or destroyed.  Here is a link which shows the widespread prevailing attitude in Germany and Austria today:

https://blog.zeit.de/stoerungsmelder/2010/05/08/nazi-mull-auf-flohmarkten-was-tun-3_3166

Many do not know the laws here - the possession, sale or purchase of such items is not prohibited!  Prohibited is the offerage in public, when these symbols can clearly be seen by all and sundry, the "offensive" symbols therefore have to be covered when in public.
I remember once when an elderly member of the trade unions here told how she went over to East Germany before the wall came down, it was about the house clearance of a relative of hers, who had been in the RAD and BDM. All furniture was chopped up with an axe and burnt in the garden, all nazi symbols, etc. were burned in a stovepipe oven, and she was amazed that metal would not burn properly! She was quite proud of her contribution to cleansing the world of faschism. I did not comment at all.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wow, interesting article! I get the laws and other legal stuff behind it, but like you said it not all illegal if done properly. 

• Like 4