Jeder stirbt für sich allein, West German Film from 1976

Fritz

Wartime drama, film based on the novel by Hans Fallada. Hildegard Knef in the leading role.

• Like 2

I see "Everyone dies alone" is produced by Constantin Films, the same people who produced Downfall ,this must be one of their first films. Good to see Heinz Reincke who played Stadtrat Holzgang the NSDAP-Kreisleiter in charge of civil defence in "The Bridge at Remagen" 

Stadtrat Holzgang.gif

• Like 3

Indeed. The film was quite popular from the start, and there was great interest at the time, also for the novels by Hans Fallada. I just saw this film for the first time, and found it rather impressive. I don't suppose there is very much interest nowadays, as times have changed. It is also interesting to view the different types of characters in the film and their reactions.  Basicly the the resistence and actions taken by Hildegard Knef and her husband in the film were quite senseless and in vain and only unnecessarily provoked the brutality of the Gestapo, resulting in unnecessary loss of life and suffering.

• Like 2

there's actually been two remakes since that one

the first in 2011 and this one from last year starring Emma Thomson 

• Like 3

Rather surprised

• Like 2

I also have a police uniform like the one in this picture, must photograph and post it sometime.

• Like 2

film re-instated

• Like 2