Mother's cross

Buster

I won't ramble on about this medal as you probably know more about them than i do. I got this nazi mother's cross last week from of all places an airgun forum, its a bronze version with undamaged enamel, the ribbon has been cut to around 8 inches but suits me fine for displaying purposes. Personally I think these are very attractive and decorative awards.

post-37944-0-00386900-1478009100_thumb.jpg

post-37944-0-70033300-1478009376_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Looks almost like the Gold version, as there are (worn) traces of gilt in parts - in the photo(?), Take another look.

• Like 3

I will have another look when I get home tonight, , if it it it's a bonus :)

• Like 3

Took another couple of pics of the cross, definately looks like the bronze award.. Sorry guys these pics keep coming up side ways :(

post-37944-0-14644400-1478085588_thumb.jpg

post-37944-0-85082900-1478085608_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I have two bronze one large and one miniture both have same kind of highlights, you can tell the true colour of the

cross by looking at the colour of the outer rim of the cross.

If it was gold the lettering on the back would be in gold also.

• Like 3

really hard to tell from a photo ,we have a bronze one in the shop just now , it's a chocolate bronze colour , but I suppose if the finish is rubbed off it would have a goldish colour.

2130a-zoom.jpg

• Like 3

Same as my example - chocolate bronze and almost mint. If the metal were rubbed, the underlying colour would have a more orange tone rather than yellow, and is probably of a different alloy than the gold version, which also have gilding. I also have the silver version, which is somewhat rubbed - the silver has darkened in places, and some of the higher points show a brass like base.

Many years ago I had all three classes.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few images of the Mother's cross.

1st from left to right Gold, Silver, and Bronze.

2nd examples of the many variants of the cross.

3rd example of a very rare type 1 class 2 ( silver ) cross approx. value £3,500.post-3823-0-06168100-1478864724_thumb.jpgpost-3823-0-83689500-1478864740_thumb.jpgpost-3823-0-52313600-1478864758_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Those are very nice Leon, looking at them you can see that mine is deffinatly a bronze issue. Also that last cross in the pics above! Is nice but I could never shell that amount out,Jings! It cost more than my car lol :)

• Like 4