Small Goup of PenKnives

leon21

Found these penknives recently in my late fathers old toolbox when clearing out the cellar.

1st Bone handle knife by Pearson Bros,/ J.Howard. Sheffield England.

2nd Real Lamb foot Knife made in Germany.

3rd Diamond image on blade by Richards Sheffield England.

4th Diamond image on blade and handle no makers name.

No idea how old they are ?.post-3823-0-68061100-1476890199_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

They look old, 1950's at the latest , but would not be surprised if they were wartime or before. The first one with stag horn grips looks very similar to first world war German fighting knife grips.

• Like 3

My father had one like the first with staghorn grips, which he brought back from Australia around the early 1920s - he was about 14 years old then. It was around for lmany years. Can`t remember what happened to it. Not sure if it was made in GB or Germany.

• Like 3

The 1st one with stag horn grips also has the words ( Sheffield Made Lambfoot ) on the other side of blade.

• Like 2

The one we had may have been Sheffield made. That was a long time ago. It just reminded me of another story, in Hamburg there was a remarkable shop near the trendy Gänsemarkt centre in Valentinskamp called CALEDONIAN HOUSE, and run by Slim Cowell and his wife, Margaret. He was a former British (or Scottish) officer who had been in WW2 and had married his wife, who was from Berlin and stayed on, starting up his business in Hamburg. The shop retailed everything possible from Scotland, ranging from the finest marmelades and jams, shortbread, rare whiskeys, fine silverware and crystal, traditional costume jewellery, kilts and tartans, casual clothing of the finest wools to traditional Scottish dress with an almost military look and great attention to quality and detail. I think most of the stuff came from Edinburgh, where he had his connections. The business was very well known and popular in Hamburg. Slim passed on over 10 years ago, and I think his wife gave up the business shortly after,. They had iived in the very residential area of Blankenese. Slim had a very impressive appearance with an enormous moustache and spoke English and German just like the Kaiser! And always wore a kilt!

Some of the former stock of Slim Cowell's Caledonian House.

Glenburgie 1949 Gordon and MacPhail 34 Year Old / Slim Cowell's Caledonian  House, Hamburg | Whisky AuctioneerGlen Garioch 1978 UD - Ratings and reviews - Whiskybase

image.png.9e80eea14d6f7b1b2840464cb77d174e.png

• Like 3