Ww2 Named Canadian combat helmet with unknown unit insignia

Trenchfoot

I recently got this Canadian combat helmet for means of restoring. I bought it because of the multiple names on the helmet and LAMONT painted on the front. While inspecting it later, I noticed what appeared to be a faded unit insignia on the side which is very hard to see, in the shape of a half rainbow, and was green. Any ideas on what unit or what it could be?? (Picture 3 and 4 is the insignia) post-37905-0-31663600-1472845548_thumb.jpgpost-37905-0-00206300-1472845575_thumb.jpgpost-37905-0-62387300-1472845691_thumb.jpgpost-37905-0-23158300-1472845763_thumb.jpgpost-37905-0-21846100-1472845790_thumb.jpg

Also, can you tell if the insignia is under a coat of paint or is just faded. If it is under a coat of paint, is it wise to try and remove the paint covering it??

• Like 2

The insignia seems to be over the paint , if it is insignia, is it maybe not just scuffs? either way I would not touch it , you might ruin the helmet. Unusual too that the name is written out side the helmet, I've never seen this before , you would have thought the soldier would get put on a charge for doing that?

see what Colin says he has handled more Brodies than me :)

• Like 2

It is also inside the helmet as well. It say the name LOCKE on the inside front of the helmet, the outside front, and the outside back.

The insignia i believe is not scuffs. It looks too perfect to be one. PLUS, the pictures don't really show it well. I can tell that it is faded or painted over green paint. Its more prominent if you saw it in person

Also, it is possible that the word LAMONT may be referring to a battle or engagement the soldier may have been in.

• Like 2

post-37905-0-23414700-1472849796_thumb.jpeg

Here's a better photo of the painted symbol

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure the insignia is over the paint , I would be reluctant to mess with it as the helmet has a nice original finish. There is a Lamont in France in the region of Limousin in central France, this was one of the biggest areas where the French resistance operated. Could it be French resistance insignia? What is the date on the helmet?

• Like 2

The liner is dated 1940 and the helmet is dated 1942. It's possible it is fresh resistance, but where would they get a Canadian helmet from?

• Like 2

The liner is dated 1940 and the helmet is dated 1942. It's possible it is French resistance, but where would they get a Canadian helmet from?

I don't really see any insignia relating to the one on my helmet though...

• Like 2

yes it's probably unlikely to be French resistance, the only rainbow insignia I know of is the US 42nd Infantry division but again why would that be on a Canadian helmet. I don't even think the Canadians were near central France , I think from Normandy they headed to Holland and Germany.

• Like 2

yes it's probably unlikely to be French resistance, the only rainbow insignia I know of is the US 42nd Infantry division but again why would that be on a Canadian helmet. I don't even think the Canadians were near central France , I think from Normandy they headed to Holland and Germany.

True. The insignia on the helmet is just a green half rainbow. It could however, not be a unit's symbol, but might be something like a Canadian shoulder title. Those are always in the shape of rainbows and have the unit the soldier was in written in the stripe. It could be that, and the words may have faded away

• Like 2

I really can't find any records of battles or engagements for Lamont, which brings us back to thinking it's someones name. If so this also brings us back to the name being written on the outside of the helmet rather than the inside, in fact I can't really remember having any Brodie combat helmets with names written inside although I'm sure it happened but generally this was more something the Germans did.

So going back to the last item ,the other name Locke, is that painted on? from the pictures it looks like it could be black marker pen?

• Like 2

I think it is black marker pen. The name Locke is written on the outside front, outside back, and inside front of the helmet. I have seen Brodie's with names written in the rim. It was the easiest helmet to write your name in due to the rim.

• Like 2

Yes it looks like black marker to me too, unfortunately that means the name Lamont has been added post war as it is painted over the black marker. Marker pens were not readily available until the 1950's.

• Like 2

I see. The person who had this helmet before me said it sat in his grandfathers attic for 70+ years. It is possible that someone wrote on it later. Thanks for all the info on this helmet. This particular helmet is very confusing. I will try and bring it to my local ww2 museum and see if they can identify the unit marking on the side.

• Like 2