Malta camo ww2 Brodie helmet? Fake?

Trenchfoot

post-37905-0-63148300-1472036322_thumb.jpegpost-37905-0-84544400-1472036335_thumb.jpegpost-37905-0-77517900-1472036346_thumb.jpegpost-37905-0-53445800-1472036363_thumb.jpegpost-37905-0-04393700-1472036379_thumb.jpeg

Hello! I recently saw online someone who was selling a Malta camouflage helmet. He or she says that they live in Malta themselves, and this helmet was in the possession of his grandfather along with another one. What I have learned trying to buy rare helmets is that you cant believe the story. I'm not an expert on Malta camo or trying to identify fakes, but this one here seems to me to be fake. Some places the rust on the helmet is just way to weird, like how it covers the unit insignia on the side, but doesn't spread over it.

Any help??

• Like 2

I would say, the helmet looks ok. The finish was probably originally factory applied. The camouflage effect was probably applied locally, as also the badge. It looks as though the badge has been erased at some later stage, and the space has rusted accordingly. It is hard to judge by photos. It is always best to take a look at things before purchasing. Paint finishes on helmets were no guarantee that the helmet would not rust, as dampness tended to penetrate the surface. These paint finishes cannot be compared with modern-day counterparts.

• Like 2

As Paul says, it is very hard to judge by photos alone, I would really need to see the helmet in hand. Camo helmets are a nightmare both German and British and I tend to avoid them, unless they come straight from the family. Personally I think the rust looks too new, also that speckled effect I have seen on fake German Camos, it really should not have that effect unless the factory applied paint was removed prior to adding the camo which seems unlikely. Inside looks good , outside does not, as I say I could not comment for certain without holding the item in my hand, but it certainly does not have that "one looker about it" if it was me I would pass.

• Like 3

Don't like the look of it, leave it alone and save your money. The liner looks like it could have been replaced at some stage liner nut looks new.

• Like 3

Thanks for the reply. I wont get it, but on the topic of this helmet and those like it, whats a fair price for something like this anyway?

• Like 3

For a nice original with insignia I would think about £150 - £250 depending on condition.

• Like 3

Ok. Also, this is a little off topic but it has to do with camo. Is there any instances with Brodie helmets camo painted a very walnut brown or a tan like this in the ww2 era?? Or this is usually a post war thing

post-37905-0-15702000-1472257892_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

never seen one like that before, maybe some of the others will know.

• Like 2

Brodie Helmets can be found in many different colours from Bright to Dark Green, Karki to Dark Brown, Red, Grey, Black, Yellow, White Blue, ect. Although like Kenny I've not seen that shade of colour before either

• Like 3