French Adrian Steel Helmets

Fritz

Casque Troupe de Génie - Engineers / Pioniers

A post WW1 French Adrian type steel helmet of the pioneer or engineer troops, Troupe de Génie, as worn after 1935 and at the beginning of WW2.

Helmets were fitted with the badge of their branch of service in this example, a helmeted cuirasse with lettering RF. Other troops such as infantry wore a flaming grenade, the artillery crossed cannons, chasseurs a bugle horn, etc.

This helmet was originally horizon blue, and has been repainted greenish grey, as per the new regulations for khaki uniforms which replaced the horizon blue. In 1926 a new version of the Adrian helmet was produced with the skull in one piece without a rim, sometimes with an aluminium comb, which were more for Défence Passive, Sécurité, Pompiers (civil defence, fire service) or police.  New badges were also produced as a round medaillion with the insignia of the arm of service. The helmets were painted khaki, older helmets often repainted in olive green. During world war two both types of helmet were widely in use.

This helmet still has a good original lining in the first pattern and of blackened leather, some of the corrugated aluminium liner parts still present. The orginal chinstrap is missing. This was found with an older replacement.

image.thumb.png.3c2677cfa0df4b2ee028b1360d635fe1.png

image.thumb.png.7cc3327265ae498a837ffd3d20a2c762.png

image.thumb.png.2f98604992dc3b909bbc13206454b4dc.png

• Like 4

Casque de Fantassin - Infantry Helmet

A 1926 pattern Adrian helmet in the style worn 1939/40.  Khaki finish with a slight greenish tinge, often described as "mustard brown", original brown leather chinstrap, that has not been loosened for a very long time, liner is artificial leather, a form of very thin"rexene" in the same construction as before, very unusual, as these were normally leather,  presumably a wartime measure. There is a "58" marked in the liner.  The emblem is the 1926 medallion  for infantry, etc. although very often the old M.15 emblems were re-used. The comb is of light steel, held by  4 aluminium rivets.   The shell appears to be a period overpaint, and in very good condition, apart from the highlighting on the emblem details.  1935 saw the transition from horizon blue to khaki.  Many thousands of these helmets were captured in 1940, and were put into storage, some being converted and re-issued to various auxilliary services, such as Luftschutz.  Some of these helmets were also worn by Free French Forces and also various resistance bands within occupied France, latter often with the emblems removed and an alternative insignia or finish added.  After the war, the 1926 Adrian was replaced by the Casque Modèle 51 based on the American M1 helmet.

In the 1970s a large amount of these helmets emerged on the market, there were surplus stores in Germany with perfect examples for 35-40 DM,
in London, they were offered for about 4 pounds a piece. Now harder to find in a good condition, many now with badge and often liner missing. Repro badges are also being made and sold.

image.thumb.png.4ffb2e0d3f35b4d01e02efbc4a524359.png

image.thumb.png.e3424eb9f5c6a4cb0eb89132a8c95e11.png

image.thumb.png.2260c0eaa5b970c3fd59c1f2daf66bd1.png

image.thumb.png.aa5ec8b3265e728bfa28e59b8f873043.png

image.thumb.png.da32fa9461ae7ee239e0ad2cd2739f69.png

French troops in the Winter of 1939/40

image.png.b998e6beec18e729a82c613d6924b56c.png

French soldiers at Narvik, May 1940

image.thumb.png.eaa48c0638cda7c43d00ffee4209d9e0.png

French prisoners of war during the Battle of France, May-June 1940. A considerable number of colonial troops were involved. Several soldiers are wearing helmet liners, which were relatively easy to detach from the shell.

image.thumb.png.5840aafbcaac497138cce3ff74839e39.png

image.thumb.png.fcd0ea77328d5dc2443ec8f347035762.png

The iconic 1939 Croix de Guerre on a correct replacement ribbon
The Vichy Government also issued a 1939-1940 version on a green/black ribbon.

• Like 4

Nice helmets, I have several of the WW1 and WW2 types.

• Like 4

Their popularity is increasing very slowly over the years. Getting harder to find a really good complete example of the 1915 and 1926 models.
I previously had examples of infantry, artillery and one with a horizon blue finish, which was never fitted with a badge, which however had about
6 shrapnel penetrations to the crown, which had been neatly bent back into place by someone.

• Like 4

I know what you mean, I have noticed the prices on the WW1 Adrian's going up steadily over the past few years. Just finding an all complete one with liner, chinstrap, plate and helmet comb intact is getting difficult. Not to mention one with a decent paint job left on it. I found one not long ago, WW1 type that had a mustard brown color to it, I used some soap and water and it came right off with about 75% of the Horizon Blue paint still left on the shell. 

• Like 4

Here is one of my WW2 era helmets, the paint looks more like the picture that shows the liner. The two that show the outside are much greener and brighter than it really looks. The helmet itself did not change that much from the WW1 version, which was typical of most nations to include commonwealth nations and the US. 

IMG_2880.JPG

IMG_2881.JPG

IMG_2882.JPG

• Like 4

I wonder if this is the original 1939/40 paintwork, or has it been post-war repainted? They were used to a certain extent for only a few years post-war, untill the American style helmet was introduced.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Here is one that I have put together, an original WW1 shell, all complete, minus the liner and chinstrap. It has the corrugated spacers and all the liner pins as well as chinstrap bales. Note the dents on the top of the helmet as well. The Czech Legion plate is on the front of the helmet, it is in great shape with both pins intact. The Czech and Slovaks volunteered to fight for the Allies in exchange for support to win independence from the Austrian Empire. They mainly saw action on the Russian front, and some on the Western Front. A good percentage of the French Foreign legion was made up of these troops as well. Their ranks were slightly over 100,000 troops, accurate numbers are hard to get. 

IMG_3679.JPG

IMG_3680.JPG

IMG_3681.JPG

IMG_3682.JPG

IMG_3684.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Update the model listed above, I found an original liner to add to the helmet. These are fairly easy to install, just have to be careful as the retaining pins are fragile and can easily break off. 

IMG_3880.JPG

IMG_3881.JPG

IMG_3882.JPG

IMG_3883.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

The French M15 Adrian was one of the most beautiful helmets of the First World War. Though not at all rare, it seems to be one of the most difficult helmets to find in high-grade condition. Its light construction was especially prone to deformation and the vast majority of original Horizon Blue helmets were repainted a dark "midnight blue" during the war -the color so often seen today. I acquired this early infantry example by Les Establissements Japy (the premier manufacturer) from the UK a couple of years ago. It retains its original factory-applied, gloss Horizon Blue finish, with a pristine first-pattern liner and an officers'-style plaited leather chinstrap. I have helmets that probably have a higher monetary value, but it is this one above all others that is my #1 favorite.

IMG_4503.jpg

IMG_4501.jpg

IMG_4518.jpg

linerus.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice helmet McJagger! Yes, you are correct, it is getting really hard to find a nice decent Adrian anymore, at least that's affordable. 

• Like 5

Excellent example McJagger , welcome to the forum 

• Like 5

Above average condition makes an above average value.

• Like 5

• 3 years later...

100_8246.thumb.JPG.0164907ee00258afc838f0b2ec7a04d9.JPG

Tunic and greatcoat buttons, all Paris marked, 1914 and 1939

• Like 4