Captain Eric Melrose "Winkle" Brown, CBE, DSC, AFC, Hon FRAeS, RN

Kenny Andrew

Eric was a regular visitor to the Treasure Bunker and we are very sad to say he died on Sunday. Typically of his generation he was a very modest man and in all the times he visited the shop he never once said who he was. If it was not for the fact that the last time he visited, he sold us his Flying helmet, goggles and compass we would never had known it was him.

I added his flying helmet to our website and inside was written E. Brown. One of our customers in Australia contacted us and asked if the helmet belonged to Eric Brown? I told him I didn't know and we had bought it from an old gentleman who used to visit the shop.

The customer told me he knew Eric and asked if it was OK for him to contact him and ask if it was his helmet. This he duly did and Eric confirmed it was his helmet. At the time I was not familiar with who Eric was and quickly researched him, I was amazed when I read who he was and what he had done. I always hoped he would visit again so I could ask him about his exploits but sadly that was the last time we ever saw him.

Here is his wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Brown_%28pilot%29

eric1.jpgeric2.jpgeric3.jpgeric4.jpgeric5.jpgeric6.jpg

• Like 5

• Kenny Andrew pinned this topic
  • 6 years later...

image.jpeg.bc4c0eb147769d0c042117348d59ebe4.jpeg

Junkers Ju88 G-6 D5+GH of 1./NJG3 after landing at the Irish Air Corps base at Gormanstown near Dublin in the early hours of 5th May 1945 they had flown from Grove in Denmark.The crew consisted of Ofw Herbert Gieseke (an ace with 7 victories) Ogefr. Bernhard Kruschyna and Uffz Horst Schmidt.
Eric Winkle Brown came to Ireland to fly the junkers to Britain.It was then given the serial number VK888

image.thumb.jpeg.3dcd0ad70b8f6db2c01e7e74d150367b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8a7ba5764092701dc526575a0314f8c3.jpeg

• Like 1

• Like 1

He was a great guy, sorely missed. 

• Like 1