Latest display

leon21

Hi Greg, it's a fragment from a German bomb, picked up by the ARP Warden of No 12 West Pelton Post, after a bombing

raid on Beamish Marshaling Yards and Village Co Durham in 1942. It was with the ARP books I got from his relatives they

said he picked it up the day after the raids and kept it. That's what he told them.

It's a nice story if true, I kept it anyway.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Here's the latest small display, I use empty Ferrero Rocher chocolate cases which I find Ideal for the job of displaying

small Items.post-3823-0-31144900-1485520648_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Looking great Colin, very ingenious too and a good excuse to buy Ferrero Rocher :D

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

what a great idea and looks great, what is the red backing made off? . My wife always chucks the boxes in the bin ! She wont be now.

• Like 3

Its a thin sheet of foam you can get it from most craft shops. post-3823-0-80302400-1487326289_thumb.jpg

You can get it in a variety of colours.

• Like 3

I would be carefull with foam products which are plastic-based, they could eventually cause tarnish and oxidation due to chemical reaction. Safer are natural materials, wool-felt, cotton or jute. Take a look at the items every now and again to see if there is any reaction to this product. Products from the far east are not subject to scrutiny or health or safety regulations. They will sell us anything and are not renowned for their quality or humane labour conditions.

• Like 4

I understand your concern Paul but I've been using this product for the last ten years or more and never had any of the

problems you have mentioned , the items are just as good as the day I put them into the display cases or frames.

• Like 3

Good to know

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Recently decided to treat myself to a new display cabinet  as my collection had out grown the old one, even the new one  is not big enough to hold

all of it, here are a few photo's.100_5677.thumb.jpg.fb83ebfa31d6705375c1d89a6a9900f1.jpg100_5681.thumb.jpg.d4039168d0aaaec3fae0c3faadc8079a.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Here is the latest display  a group to signalman 14162012  A. Christie of the Royal Signals, his cap badge, collar badges, and his

G.S.M. Medal and Clasp for Palestine 1945-48 still in its box. I picked these up on a visit to Kenny's shop last week, was great to

see him again and Glasgow a great place to shop.

The collar badges with backing plates and backing felt are WW2 issue, the one on the right I've added a post WW2 backing plate

and Crown which was missing and added new backing felt to the Crown, which looks  different  but  not too bad I think.

100_5706.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice. It reminds me of a set I was looking for many years ago to fit a WW1 khaki Coldstream Guards tunic. A largish size, It still had all the regmental buttons and the red shoulder flashes. I later came across the exact matching set (pair), which were on the brass backing plate, however one "C" of the CG was missing, otherwise complete with the brass roses.
If the felt backing is not quite matching, you could recolour this with a felt-tip marker pen, assuming the right shade can be found.

• Like 3

Looking good Colin, I would try to darken the felt too so it matches the others, did you ever find out what the blue backing felt signifies? 

• Like 2

Possible attached to a R.A.F. unit not 100% sure yet still researching will let you know when I'm sure.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 27.1.2017 at 13:38, leon21 said:

Here's the latest small display, I use empty Ferrero Rocher chocolate cases which I find Ideal for the job of displaying

small Items.post-3823-0-31144900-1485520648_thumb.jpg

Very usefull, I haven't seen this type here before, just the other version, which I find not very suitable.

Rocher.jpg

Rocher2.jpg

• Like 3

These are the largest size they do they seem to come out mainly Christmas time, they do two slightly smaller sizes which are

also useful but I prefer the largest so always buy one or two when I see them.

• Like 3