Soviet Era Polish, Army Gas Mask

Reece

Here's that Gas mask i was talking about.

Soviet Era polish army gas mask, as dated 1987 , so coming to the end of the soviet unoin haha,

Not the usual sort of thing i would collect but, i thought i would keep in the spirit of soviet era things for now , since the last thing i bought were those 2 DDR flags from Kenny :thumbsup:

Also i cant figure out what that small container, with the peice of cloth inside it is. Its got some sort of oily residue on it, all i can think of is anti fog , for the lenses, any ideas ?

post-74-0-37658600-1423233791_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-58193300-1423233799_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-09715100-1423233809_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-28800600-1423233823_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-91276000-1423233836_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Oily stuff was likely anti-gas ointment. [edit - usually is anti-gas but see below]

Keep the canister sealed. There is some debate if the Ruassian ones held Asbestos in them or not. Testing has shown asbestos in some filter types.

• Like 1

Makes sense.

Yeah i remember awhile ago reading about certain gas-mask filters containing asbestos , that's something i wouldn't want to be exposed to.

I always see pictures of air-soft enthusiasts , and reinactors wearing masks with filters attached, surely that would make you seriously ill !

• Like 1

just played with a Polish translator for the tube... looks like anti frost cream for the eye peices?

• Like 2

Considering its a a piece of material , that could be used for wiping it on the lenses ? , especially in that sort of climate where it can get well below freezing . and where your pobley in the same position or outside for hours ?

the only anti gas sort of stuff ive seen was powder too

• Like 1

yep it's for keeping the lenses clear , and I'm pretty sure the filter has asbestos in it, so keep it sealed as Greg says :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Did you mange to get the DDR flag cleaned? I don't know where it had been, but it had a rather peculiar smell to it :o

I tried cleaning it with some non chemical cleaner but it still has a smell to it

quite scared to put anything else on it , just incase it ruins in , any idea what i could use.

also in the house i was living in at the time , i stored a few things in a cupboard i checked for damp ect , the Bayonet i have and also an Italian helmet , the leather and the bayonet frog got covered in mould :wacko: , was absolutely devastated after coming back from holiday, checking everything was still there, to find that, wiped it off and made sure it was somewhere else, just hope it hasn't effected them in any way

• Like 1

They should be OK if they are stored away from any dampness. :thumbsup:

As for the flag I was hoping the Fabreze would do the trick , but seems like it needs something a bit more powerful.If it was mine I would be tempted to put it in the washing machine. It should be OK if it is set to the correct setting. I know nothing about washing machines though, I have never changed the settings on mine :blink: Maybe the others will have a suggestion.You don't want it ending up like an Action man flag :shok0002:

• Like 1

Ill give it a go again, with fabfeze, if not your right maybe there might be other suggestions,

that could work , might fade it though , i think i would cry if that happened :lol:

• Like 1

Washing machine. Hand rinse wool cycle and you can buy detol disinfectant washing liquid in the washing soaps Isle of most super markets give that a try

Note.... Get the Detol for washing clothes not dishes and other stuff.... Else all you got is a mess of bubbles

• Like 1

that sounds like a definitive answer Greg, you are better with washing machines than me :wacko: but was the flag not a synthetic material rather than wool Reece? I can't really remember.

Then put it in the light synthetics mode most machine will have it or for silk and delicates. .. and toss it into a wash bag so it doesn't get caught and pulled or torn in washing

• Like 1

Ill get the stuff tomorrow and give it a try

Kenny theirs a small synthetic flag,

and the large wool one if you remember ?

• Like 1

That's right, might be better to do the synthetic flag separately. Greg, do you think it might be safer to try hand washing the flags first? The washing machine might be an unnecessary gamble. Then you have to think about drying them , If you put them on the cloths line, your neighbors might think Vladimir Putin has arrived :tank:

Agreed there kenny unless there is a gentle cycle... I dry things over the radiator but would want to see the quality of the nylon and wool for each first.... My exerpience in DDR stuff was made cheap and crappy as possible... I had an officers uniform travel bag which literally melted when 30 years after production the rubber coating decided to detach from the cotton.

hand washimg sounds better ill get tjat disinfectant on the way home from work,

Before doing anything ill get some pictures of the flags material if helps ,

thats true kenny, im sure they will be more confused than anything , think its an invasion or somthing !!

• Like 1

yes post some pictures it's the synthetic flag I'd be most concerned about :thumbsup: