British Service Records

Graeme

G how can I get information about my Cameronian uncle? I really need to find out what medals he was entitled to ?

• Like 1

He was WWII wasn't he? WWII Service papers haven't been released yet but it is possible to get them. I will post the details of how tonight.

• Like 1

To get Service Papers for WWII is far more difficult.

You must be either the person themselves or the next of kin.

You can also get the records if you get a letter from the next of kin authorising the release of the records to you. You must also prove the death of the person in question. Whether that is a death certificate or a cutting from a newspaper announcing his death.

You need to contact the MOD Records section at Kentigern House in Glasgow. The fee 2 years ago was £30. It also takes at least 3 months before you get anything. You also need name, rank, number etc.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

dioes thins apply for, english records ?

im going to try and find out two this time ,

great uncle and grabs cousain

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick stupid fast fact question... why is it called Kentigern House? It ain't no house! Same with Lunar House for the Home office down in Croydon.... simple fact is they are Big Ugly Buildings.... so why not call them that... Big Ugly Building No. 32 would work for me.

Silly rant about British architecture over, carry on now....

Comes down to staff morale. Would you rather work in Lovely Beautiful House or Big Ugly Office No 32.

There is an Office in Edinburgh that we used to refer to as G.O.B. Saughton. (Government Office Building). Now called Saughton House.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

This has now changed.

Under certain conditions you are able to access WWII Service Records with a Freedom of Information request.

Will post more details tonight when I have more time.

• Like 1

That would be great G, would still like to get some more info on my uncle if I can :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Here is the link to the MOD Website which relates to the following:

- Requests for Service Records of a Next of Kin

- General Requests for Service Records

Under the 1st section you can receive a copy of the Service Records providing you can provide proof of death of the individual required and proof that he is your next of kin or a letter from the next of kin authorising the release of those records to you.

Under the 2nd section Service Records will only be released 25 years after the date of death of the person being requested. If they did not die 25 years previously then only very basic details will be released.

I am happy to help if required.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDef...ServiceRecords/

G

• Like 1

Hi G,

could you try to find out what you can under section 2? Although I think my uncle Jack died about 20 years ago , if it turns anything up then we could consider the 1st section but I still find it a bit macabre asking my aunt for death certificates etc at this point.

Can supply name rank and number etc and cover any costs incurred.

• Like 1

Forget my last post.

I will pm you later about some details (going out to buy a garden bench). I can get his death certificate myself from Scotland's People.

• Like 1

Excellent G, there's no great rush, if you can get the death cert even better :)

• Like 1

Hi G, we do not have a death certificate for my uncle any info on how to aquire one would be appreciated, and thanks for posting this thread as i think it will benefit quite a few of us on here as it is all too easy to study the big names of ww2 when we have our own family members who paid the ultimate price for our freedom.

• Like 1

Hi Kenny,

For starters I need the following info to get the Certificate.

Full Name

Year of Birth +/- 5 years

City of Birth

Year of Death +/- 5 years

City of Death

Wife's Name

If you want me to go through with getting his papers it will cost at least £50 - (Certificate Fee, Scotland's People Search Fee, FoI Fee, Postage etc) - although, for you, everything will be itemised.

Mr B

I will check out if an extract from the CWGC will suffice and get back to you.

Cheers

G

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mr B,

Sorry for the delay. If they died 'in service' then no proof of death is required.

G

Oops. Forgot the rest of my reply.

Scotland

Death Certificates can be obtained on-line at the following website.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

You need to purchase credits to view basic details on-line and then you order the certificate which is posted out to you. Minimum purchase of Credits is £7. Death Certificate costs £10.

England and Wales

I normally go through Ancestry.co.uk but Death Certificates can be obtained on-line at the following website.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Cost is £9.25 but you also need various index reference numbers.

• Like 1

Thanks G,

I will get that info for you , and pay any costs involved :)

• Like 1

Hi G,

here we go.

Full Name John Henderson

Year of Birth +/- 5 years 26 April 1917

City of Birth Bellshill Lanarkshire

Year of Death +/- 5 years 1995?

City of Death Bellshill (Monklands Hospital) Lanarkshire

Wife's Name Edith Henderson

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Kenny, finally managed to get my arse in gear and now have the Death Certificate.

I now need a letter that says something along the lines of:

"I ........ as a next of kin of John Henderson (Rank, Number and Regiment) authorise the release of the whole of his Army Service Record to Graeme Ronaldson."

Cheers

G

• Like 1

Hi G, will an email do or do you need an actual written letter?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wow!! has it really been this long since I have been here.

Sorry, been working really hard (lol) and getting on with my research project.

It needs to be an original letter. I will pop through either next week or the week after to get it. I will let you know when.

Honest, I won't disappear for such a long period again.

Cheers

Graeme

• Like 1