anti tank coils

Greg

has anyone ever heard of anti tank coils along british beaches?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-23481422

I have heard about a lot of types of anti tank devices but never this... to be honest i am skeptical it is what they claim. Would a coil really pull off a panzer track? and why even bother when you can use a mine to do the same thing much more effectively... sure economy and all that but dragon teeth and hedgehogs along the beach sure - but coiled springs?

course i could be wrong, perhaps this is one of those crazy home guard inventions up there with concrete pillbox trucks?

• Like 1

Never heard of it being used elsewhere in the country, has to be a local experiment to that area. I've read about coiled wire

with concrete blocks being used together but not coiled springs on there own.

Agreed. Seeing the photos of the coils they are also far too large to be coils for barbed wire either. As they are far up the beach I do not think they were placed to pull the hull bottoms off landing craft either.

If they are not WWII it could be some sort of beach erosion experiment long forgotten. If the coils were placed in the sand I would assume they would hold the sand to some degree and prevent it from washing away into the sea in storms.

• Like 1