How to Spot a Fake Air Crew Europe Star

Kenny Andrew

1. Pebbling within the circlet is poor and irregular on the copy.

2. The three horizontal parts of the letter "E" are just about same length on copy while on the original the central horizontal is noticeably shorter.

3. Letters have a flat surface on the original

4. Letters generally have different shape and positions between the two: compare the "W" of "CREW" look how its positioned

in relation to the bottom of the "V" of the "VI" and also the centre line of the bottom star arm.

air_crew_europe_star_copy_centre.JPG

air_crew_europe_star_copy_crown.JPG

air_crew_europe_star_copy_gvi.JPG

air_crew_europe_star_copy_original.JPG

air_crew_europe_star_copy_original_ring.JPG

air_crew_europe_star_original_centre.JPG

air_crew_europe_star_original_crown.JPG

air_crew_europe_star_original_gvi.JPG

• Like 4

this is me being stupid... but in american medals an air crew europe would not be too rare... the 8th airforce was HUGE. almost no market to really fake the medals but certainly to reproduce them for families after the war.

Considering the RAF was much smaller is air crew europe more special and something to highly fake?

• Like 5

• 9 months later...

Hi Greg, yes they are much rarer ,common stars about £15 Air Crew Europe star about £180, more if with log books etc.

• Like 4

• 8 years later...

That's a really helpful post Kenny Andrew - thanks 

• Like 4

Thanks James, yes it is a useful post, I use it quite frequently as I can never remember where the W should sit when ever a customer brings one in. Out of the last hundred or so I've been offered only three have been original :o  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just looking at one for sale in an auction and all the pointers are that its correct, with one exception which doesn't seem to come up in the listings of fake pointers! The W is placed correctly, the finish of the letters is very good, the length of the centre bar in the E is shorter, etc... all checked. But the bottom of the V in the VI isn't pointed, its quite flat - I assume this means it is definately a fake, albeit a very good fake as far as the various points listed on a number of sites!

• Like 4

Hi Peter, unless it's been heavily polished I would be wary of it, when buying something like this you really need it to be text book and preferably with some provenance.  

• Like 3